Press pause on your speedy reader’s latest adventure with an activity perfect for book lovers. He’ll get to create his very own reading partner-in-crime — an adorable bookworm as eager to get to the next page as he is.
- Have your child use a marker to draw a large rectangle with a round circle at the top on the craft foam sheet. The rectangle will be the body of the bookworm bookmark and the round circle will be the head.
- Let him use scissors to cut out the bookworm.
- Help him cover his workspace with newspapers.
- Have your child glue the googly eyes on the bookworm’s head.
- Let him use glue to attach pipe cleaner antannae to the back of the bookworm’s head.
- Encourage your child to get creative as he decorates the rest of his bookmark. Felt scraps and marker doodles make excellent additions to the bookworm’s body and a small length of pipe cleaner could make the perfect bookworm mouth.
- Make sure any decorations on the bookworm’s body are flat — anything else will get crushed when the bookmark is placed inside a book. The head, on the other hand, has no such restrictions since it will be poking out of the book.
- Set aside the bookmark to let the glue dry.
- Once it has dried, let your child place his bookworm friend in his latest book!