- Have your child draw a different shape on each piece of foam, one for each topper he’s making.
- Have him carefully cut out each shape with a pair of scissors.
- Help him cut two 1/4″ horizontal slits on each foam shape.
- Now have him decorate his shapes using buttons and markers. If he wants, he can give his topper the power of sight and glue on some googly eyes.
- Show him how to carefully slide a pencil through the cut slits to add the foam shape onto his pencil.
Discuss: What is the difference between the way insects fly and birds fly?
Quiz: Why do you think they have lighted a fire in the balloon?